clock towerTeluk Intan is a town located in the state of Perak in Malaysia. It is the largest town in Hilir Perak district and third largest town in the state of Perak with estimated population of 100,000. In the early days, the town was called Teluk Mak Intan, after a female Javanese trader.

During the British colonial era, the name was changed to Teluk Anson (Anson Bay), in honor of a British Officer, Sir Archibald Anson who developed it. Then in 1982, it was changed again to Teluk Intan (Diamond Bay) by the Sultan of Perak. The town has a number of colonial buildings and Chinese shophouses together with modern buildings and a few shopping complexes.

For more information about Teluk Intan, please visit the following link:

 

 


Leaning Clock Tower of Teluk Intan - by SAGER AHMAD

Always compared to its more famous and older cousin, the Leaning Tower of Pisa in Italy, this 25.5m pagoda-like structure was built in 1885 by contractor and philanthropist Leong Choon Chong. There is a road named after him nearby.

The tower, originally used as a water tank, functioned as a landmark for people to meet. During World War II (1941-1945), the Japanese removed the roof tiles and used the tower as an observation post.

It is rumoured that the tower was constructed for feng shui reasons. It seemed that a rich Chinese merchant who controlled the trade along the Perak River consulted a feng shui master who advised him to build a huge storehouse at a strategic location with a commanding view of the traffic coming downriver in order to strengthen his business.

When the British District Officer heard this, he was disturbed and tried to counteract the move. He consulted another feng shui expert who suggested the construction of the clock tower.

The tower is something of an architectural curiosity. The outer part comprises a wooden “cage” made of cengal gayung wood but the inner structure is brick.

For more information about Teluk Intan, please visit the following link:

Go to top